We have a new way to browse highlights of our collections--by subject! These categories now appear at the bottom of our Museum Collections website:
The Museum Collections website has long encouraged exploration by format (object, archival, library, or small craft collections) but until now a way to browse articles and writings on our collections by subject or theme has been lacking. Under these subjects you'll find everything from articles on specific collection items to writings using images of our collections as illustrations.
- African heritage and history
- America's Cup and yacht racing
- Arts, crafts, skills, and artists, artisans, and craft workers
- Asian heritage and history
- Boats and small craft
- Companies and organizations (naval architectural and engineering firms, engine manufacturers, shipping lines, shipyards, boatyards, etc.)
- Geneaology resources at SF Maritime NHP
- Kenichi Horie's sailing alone across the Pacific
- Language and literature
- Life aboard ship (crew or passenger, at work or at play)
- Sailing ships
If you're interested in browsing our actual collections records, or accessing our online collections, then see our Collections Catalogs & Finding Aids. Records for our collections are represented in many catalogs as are our finding aids to archival collections. Have a question about which catalog is best for your research? Don't hesitate to contact us--our Reference Staff is available to assist with your maritime research strategy.